Contemporary Film Industry Program (Summer 2019)
Spend the first part of your summer in New Orleans studying and experiencing first hand how the film industry works.
- Learn what film historians and industry leaders have to say about contemporary film production, distribution, exhibition, and reception.
- Understand the similarities and differences between the Hollywood production model and “runaway” production in Louisiana.
- Analyze films that represent the Hollywood industry and films shot in Louisiana.
- Spend a week in Hollywood meeting with studio heads, writers, producers, actors, agents and touring film studios and production facilities. Travel to film sets and production facilities in Louisiana.
- Make connections with faculty and industry mentors who can help you launch your career.
Dates: May 28-June 28 including June 15-22 Hollywood Trip.
Credit hours: 6 hours, Students must register for all 6 hours.
DMPR 3920 Louisiana Film and Entertainment Industry
DMPR 4070 Contemporary Film as art and Industry
Tuition: $3,000 per 3 credit class
Travel Cost: $2140, subject to reduction based on student enrollment
Includes a great academic experience, airfare (New Orleans – Los Angles – New Orleans), housing and breakfasts at USC, and transportation to studios and production facilities. (Tulane on-campus housing is available but will be billed separately)
If accepted, a $700 NONREFUNDABLE deposit is due by April 01, 2019.
Who Might Apply: Students interested in film production, film history, and/or film analysis; students interested in a career in the industry or graduate school in film studies, communication, creative writing/English or related fields, students who plan to go on to professional schools such as law or business specializing in the area of entertainment. We are looking for students who have a basic understanding of film or television history and/or basic production competencies. You may have taken specific courses or you may have had other types of qualifying experiences.
Two partial, need-based scholarships are available for the 2019 summer program. If you believe you're eligible and you're interested in applying, print the application, (found under questionnaires - SLA Summer Scholarship Application) fill it out completely and then upload it back into your application.
You must be over 18 years of age to apply.
Application information: Applications will ONLY be accepted via electronic submission at studyabroad.tulane.edu the deadline to apply is March 08, 2019. If you have any questions about the application, please contact Richard Snow at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kendra Paige at email@example.com.
Deadline to apply is March 08, 2019. Use the following subject heading: Hollywood Course
214 Dixon Hall
* This program will only be offered during the summer.