Skip to main content

For updates and resources as we move forward after Hurricane Ida, please visit our Forward TUgether site.

Study Abroad


All majors and minors in Spanish are strongly encouraged to participate in Tulane’s Study Abroad Programs.

Advanced programs: Prior to their participation, majors and minors in Spanish and joint majors should complete the Department’s course in Spanish grammar and composition (SPAN 3040, 3050, or 3060). Portuguese coordinate majors and minors, and joint majors going to Brazil, must complete PORT 2030, although the ideal study abroad candidate will have fulfilled the three major/minor requirements at the 3000 level. There are very few advanced programs that accept students who have only completed SPAN 2040.

Basic language courses can also be taken abroad. Student must seek transfer approval to going abroad. If they do not seek approval, language courses will not be transferred. Contact the Office of Study Abroad for more information:

In the Department of Spanish and Portuguese students may receive credit for a MAXIMUM of 4 courses TOTAL in our Department. These 4 transfer courses include both language and/or advanced courses in Spanish and Portuguese. This applies to all students, including those who participate in more than one study abroad program during their undergraduate career at Tulane.

Students should keep in mind that Spanish majors and minors START with the Department’s 3000-level sequence. No language classes count toward the Department’s majors, minors, or joint major.

Please keep in mind the following general guidelines:


  • Students are responsible for meeting with their advisors in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese to going abroad in order to discuss the substitution of possible courses. If students do NOT receive their advisor’s transfer pre-approval, they might not be able to receive credit for courses taken abroad for their minor or major in Spanish and/or Portuguese.
  • All majors in Spanish and Portuguese must take two out of three 6000-level courses on campus. One of those is Senior Seminar SPAN 6850, which may NOT be substituted with a course from abroad. Therefore, double majors will need to take both of their 6000-level courses at Tulane.
  • Credit from courses taken abroad is applied toward courses in the Department’s curriculum at Tulane after students return to New Orleans.
  • Courses from abroad that apply to the curriculum in Spanish and Portuguese must resemble courses taught in the Department, which are listed in the Undergraduate Catalog
  • As a general rule, the Department recognizes courses in culture, literature, theater, poetry, film, and Spanish linguistics. The Department DOES NOT approve credit for courses in other disciplines, including political science, history, economics, biology, and sociology, even if these classes are taught in Spanish or Portuguese. Students may count ONE COURSE taken abroad in the target language (Spanish or Portuguese) on a cultural topic not directly covered by our department (eg. art, music, dance, philosophy, history). If students wish to receive credit for any additional courses abroad beyond those comparable to our offerings, they must do so from the appropriate Department at Tulane. Students are responsible for choosing courses that match the curriculum in Spanish and Portuguese.
  • Students may not receive credit for courses taken abroad if they took a similar course at Tulane. For example, if students take a course abroad called “Spanish Grammar and Composition,” they may not apply it toward SPAN 3040, 3050 or 3060, which they took prior to participating in study abroad.
  • Some advanced study abroad programs may require that students enroll in Spanish or Portuguese language courses while abroad. Courses of this kind will NOT transfer as major or minor credit, even if they are required by the program abroad. However, if a student is beginning her study with a course in the basic language sequence (SPAN 1010 – 2030; PORT 1120 - 2030), these language courses may count toward the MAXIMUM of 4 courses TOTAL that can be taken abroad, and may be transferred at their appropriate level. They will not count, however, toward a student’s major or minor in Spanish or Portuguese.


  • Requirement of SPAN 4060 for Spanish majors who study abroad: If there are no courses equivalent to the Department’s SPAN 4060 course, students should take some sort of comprehensive survey in early and modern readings, covering both literatures from Spain and from Latin America.
  • Spanish majors are required to take ONE pre-twentieth-century course at the 4000 level (besides SPAN 4060). EITHER Span 4060 OR ONE pre-twentieth-century course at the 4000-level must be taken on campus in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.


  • Spanish minors are required to take SPAN 4060 OR ONE pre-twentieth-century course at the 4000 level. This course must be taken on campus in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese.


  • Students should have already received approval of course equivalencies from their department advisor before the start of the term abroad.  Advisors may also request additional materials to finalize the course substitution process (eg. syllabi, reading assignment lists, etc.) for the courses taken abroad. Please remember to keep these documents. 
  • Upon return, students should wait until the courses taken abroad appear on their transcript. They will appear with a 5000-level code. If your coursework abroad does not appear in your transcript, contact the Office of Study Abroad. Your major or minor advisor in the Department of Spanish and Portuguese cannot help you get your courses and grades transferred from the study abroad program. 
  • Once the abroad coursework appears on the transcript, the student should bring to his/her department the course equivalency form, accessible at   course equivalence  form assigns a Tulane code (SPAN 3000, 4000, or 6000, or PORT 3000, 4000, or 6000, depending on the complexity of the course) to classes taken abroad. The advisor will sign the form, which should then be turned in to the student’s academic advisor, and make a copy to keep in the student’s file in the department.

Revised August 2020