Gender & Sexuality Major
A major in Gender and Sexuality Studies consists of a minimum of 33 credits. Four core courses are required:
- GESS 2900, Introduction to Gender and Sexuality Studies,
- GESS 3500, Identity, Difference, and Inequality
- GESS 4940, Gender & Sexuality Theory I - Feminist Theory
- GESS 4950, Gender & Sexuality Theory II - Queer Theory
The remaining courses must be selected from among those approved by the Gender and Sexuality Studies Program with the following distribution requirements: a minimum of six credits from the subject area Humanities and Fine Arts and six credits from Social Sciences, with not more than nine credits in a single department. Normally, the elective courses are taken at the 300 level and above. A maximum of 12 credits taken to satisfy the college distribution requirement may be applied toward the major in Gender and Sexuality Studies. Students electing Gender and Sexuality Studies as one of two majors must complete all requirements for the Gender and Sexuality Studies major and complete a total of at least 27 credits in different (non-overlapping) courses in each major. **Please note GESS 4940 is a prerequisite for GESS 4950; majors must take these two courses in sequence.
Gender & Sexuality Minor
A minor in Gender and Sexuality Studies consists of a minimum of 18 credits. Two courses are required:
- GESS 2900, Introduction to Gender and Sexuality Studies
- GESS 3550, Identity, Difference, and Inequality
The remaining courses must be selected from among those approved by the Gender and Sexuality Studies Program with not all courses selected from the same discipline. Courses applied to the student's major field of study may not be applied toward the Gender and Sexuality Studies minor. All electives must be at the 3000 level or above.
Declaring your Major/Minor
- Fill out a major/minor declaration form from the Tulane Advising website.
- Email filled form to GESSDirector@tulane.edu
- Once signed, most importantly turn into Advising to be officially declared.
Submitting Courses for Approval
To have an elective approved to count toward the major/minor, complete the following steps and the GESS Director will review.
- Join Canvas “Tulane GESS Program”
- Click “Elective approval request”
- Upload a copy of the courses syllabus (PDF Format)
- Email GESSDirector@tulane.edu with your information and requested course.
Allow 1-2 weeks for review and response.