Our department specializes in contemporary and historical approaches to Ethics and Political Philosophy. The Department is closely connected to The Murphy Institute's Center for Ethics and Public Affairs and has a specialty PhD track in Moral Philosophy. Many of our faculty members also have research interests in Philosophy of Mind and related areas.
We offer courses in a broad range of areas, including Ethics, Political Philosophy, the History of Philosophy, Philosophy of Mind, Metaphysics, Epistemology, and Logic. Our major and minor programs are flexible and allow students to pursue an array of philosophical interests. Many of our courses satisfy components of the Tulane curriculum, including Global Perspectives, Textual & Historical Perspectives, Western Traditions, Formal Reasoning, Writing Skills, and Service Learning. Our Philosophy Club hosts student-led discussions, lectures, and movie screenings.
Some information on the history of the Department, 1887-1967.
News and Announcements
- Lucia Schwarz and Mario Juarez-Garcia joined the Department in Fall 2023. Caroline Arruda joined the Department in Fall 2022. Josh Mund and Louis Gularte joined the Department in Fall 2021, and Karl Schmid joined the Department in Fall 2020.
- We now have a specialty PhD track in Moral Philosophy.
- Descriptions of our Fall 2023 courses.
- Siobhain Lash (PhD 2022) began a position as Professor of Practice at West Virginia University in Fall 2023.
- Caner Turan (PhD 2022) began a tenure-track position at the American University of Beirut in Fall 2023.
- Daniel Tigard (PhD 2018) began a tenure-track position at the University of San Diego.
- Keith Silverman (PhD 2020) was elected to the Danville, VA School Board.
- Alex Priou (PhD 2014) began conducting, with two colleagues, a political philosophy podcast, The New Thinkery.
- Derek Duplessie (PhD 2018) began a tenure track position at Assumption College in Fall 2022.
- Charlie Gustafson-Barrett (PhD 2018) began a tenure-track position at St. John's College, Santa Fe, in Fall 2021.
- Gwenda-lin Grewal (PhD 2010) began a position at the Onassis Lecturer in Ancient Greek Thought and Language at the New School of Social Research.
- Congratulations to Cynthia Ma and Trevor Griffith for receiving the Graduate Student Award for Excellence in Teaching for 2022! The award was previously received by Evan Coulter and Keir Willett for 2021 and by Alyssa Walker and Chara Kokkiou for 2020.
- Congratulations to Tabitha Mascobetto (BA 2025)! Tabitha was accepted to the 2023 Philosophy in an Inclusive Key Summer Institute at the Rock (PIKSI-Rock) at Penn State University.
- Congratulations to Yael Pasumansky (BA 2022)! Yael's paper, "Guardian Angel", was accepted for publication in Dialogue, the journal of Phi Sigma Tau, the national honors society in philosophy.
- The Department is on Twitter and Facebook!