NOTE: We enroll new PhD students in the Fall of odd-numbered years (every other year). We will begin accepting applications for Fall 2025 enrollment on August 15, 2024, and continue doing so until February 15, 2025.
An undergraduate major in economics is desirable but not necessary. Applicants must have a strong mathematics background, including one semester of matrix algebra and at least one year of calculus. Though not required, a course in real analysis is also strongly recommended. Students should also have a minimum GPA of at least 3.3.
Applicants must apply online. As part of that process, please submit the following:
- Online application that includes:
- 3 letters of recommendation
- Personal Statement (stating objectives and motivation for graduate study and preferred field)
- Supporting materials:
- Official copies of all university transcripts should be mailed directly to the Department of Economics.
- Writing samples and/or additional materials (if any) should be mailed directly to:
Director of Graduate Studies
Department of Economics
6823 St Charles Ave., 206 Tilton Hall
New Orleans, LA 70118
- In addition, please arrange for ETS to send test scores to Tulane University School of Liberal Arts, code 6183:
- GRE scores
- TOEFL scores (for non-native English speakers)
Generous fellowships are available and are awarded on the basis of academic merit and potential for scholarship. We are committed to recruiting a diverse student body, and we encourage women and minorities to apply.
The online application, mailing address, and more detailed instructions are available at the Graduate Programs Office of the School of Liberal Arts.