Field of Study: Cultural anthropology; historical ecology; ethnobiology; Amazonia. Prof. Balée received his PhD from Columbia University in 1984. He has conducted ethnographic fieldwork dealing with forest peoples in the Brazilian Amazon, Ecuadorian Amazon, and peninsular Malaysia. His courses include cultural anthropology, ecological anthropology, environmental anthropology, historical ecology, and ethnographic methods.
William Balée in the News
- 2023 Distinguished Ethnobiologist: Dr. William Balée
- Evidence for Landscape Transformation of Ridgetop Forests in Amazonian Ecuador
- William Balée named 2019 Guggenheim Fellow by the John Simon Guggenheim Memorial Foundation
- Documenting the Historical Ecology of the Lower Amazon Basin Video
- Ancient Transformation, Current Conservation: Traditional Forest Management on the Iriri River, Brazilian Amazonia