The Creative Premedical Scholars Program seeks students who want to major in the liberal arts at Tulane and pursue a career in medicine after graduation. Successful applicants receive guaranteed admission to Tulane's School of Medicine and are not required to take the MCAT. Relieved of the pressures that often accompany preparation for the MCAT and applying to medical school, Creative Premedical Scholars are free to invest in a course of study within the humanities, arts, and social sciences.
Please be advised that meeting the eligibility requirements in no way guarantees admission to the program or the Tulane School of Medicine.
Students apply in the spring of their sophomore year and must meet the following criteria:
- Have a GPA of 3.6 or above.
- Complete a minimum of 60 credits of undergraduate work by the end of the sophomore year
- Complete all of the following premedical science course requirements by the end of their sophomore year with a B- or higher in each class. The requirements are: one year each of general biology, general chemistry, organic chemistry, and physics, all with laboratories (see chart below for Tulane course numbers). Courses may be taken during the summer, either at Tulane or at another institution that has been approved by the respective departments for transfer credit.
- Plan to earn a BA or BFA degree in the School of Liberal Arts. Majors in the Business School, School of Science and Engineering, School of Continuing Studies, or School of Public Health are not acceptable, though a student may pursue any minor.
- Please be advised that meeting the eligibility requirements in no way guarantees admission to the Creative Premedical Scholar Program or the Tulane School of Medicine.
Students who have completed more than two years of undergraduate work or have transferred to Tulane from another university are not eligible.
|Tulane Course Equivalent
|Two semesters of general biology, with labs
|EBIO 1010+1015 CELL 1010 (lecture) CELL 2115 (lab)
|Two semesters of general chemistry, with labs
|CHEM 1070 + 1075 CHEM 1080 + 1085
|Two semesters of organic chemistry, with labs
|CHEM 2410 + 2415 CHEM 2420 + 2425
|Two semesters of general physics, with labs
|PHYS 1210 or 1310 PHYS 1220 or 1320
Application materials are available via the links below. All required application materials must be emailed to the Pre-Health Office by April 1, for the current application cycle.
- Creative Premedical Scholar Program Application
- Application Waiver 1: Release of Confidential Documents
- Application Waiver 2: Access to Evaluations
- Letter of Recommendation Request Form
(you will need two letters of recommendation, one from a science professor and one from a non-science professor)
Applications will be reviewed by the Creative Premedical Scholar Program Nominating Committee and top-ranked students will be invited to interview with the committee at the end of April. The Committee will notify applicants regarding their decision by mid-June. Creative Premedical Scholars are expected to carry at least 15 credits per semester and maintain a 3.6 GPA.They must also write an honors thesis (Scholars not in the Honors program will write a thesis in their major department).
Advising Questions? Contact the Pre-Health Advising Office.