Jacobs University Bremen, Germany, PhD
Boğaziçi University, BA., MA.
- Representations of gender in news photographs
- Postcolonial feminism
- Islam and Muslims in the media
- The politics of dress in Turkey
- Religion, politics and the media in Turkey
Özcan, Esra (2019). Mainstreaming the Headscarf: Islamist Politics and Women in the Turkish Media. London: Bloomsbury Publishing (I.B. Tauris).
- Özcan, Esra (2020) (Guest editor), Women’s Rights and Gender Equality in Turkey, International Journal of Communication, Vol. 14. https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc
- Özcan, Esra (2020) Women’s Rights and Gender Equality in Turkey: Struggles Over Media Representations and Discourses in the Past and Present – Introduction, International Journal of Communication, Vol. 14, 5455–5462, https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/12028/3256
- Özcan, Esra (2020) Framing the Alimony Debates in Turkey: Struggle Between Feminist and Anti-Feminist Discourses to Represent the `Women’s Rights’ International Journal of Communication, Vol, 14, 5597–5615, https://ijoc.org/index.php/ijoc/article/view/12032/3264
- Özcan, Esra (2020) Debating Women’s Issues on Turkish Television: Exploring the Role of Political Power in Women’s Talk, In Television in Turkey: Local production, transnational expansion and political aspirations (pp. 85-102), ed. by Yesim Kaptan and Ece Algan. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-030-46051-8_5
- Özcan, Esra (2018). Conservative women in power: A new predicament for transnational feminist media research. In Feminist Approaches to Media Theory and Research (pp. 167-181). Editors: Dustin Harp, Jaime Loke, Ingrid Bachmann. Cham: Palgrave Macmillan. https://link.springer.com/chapter/10.1007/978-3-319-90838-0_12
- Özcan, Esra (2017). Turkish Women in Islamism: Gender and the Mirage of "Islamic Feminism." Samyukta: A Journal of Gender & Culture.
- Özcan, Esra (2017). Who is a Muslim woman? Questioning knowledge production on “Muslim woman.” In Introduction to Women's Studies: A Reader. Editors: L. Ayu Saraswati, Barbara Shaw, and Heather Rellihan. Oxford University Press.
- Özcan, Esra (2015). Women’s headscarves in news photographs: A comparison between the secular and Islamic press during the AKP government in Turkey. European Journal of Communication, 30 (6): 698-713. https://journals.sagepub.com/doi/abs/10.1177/0267323115595524?journalCode=ejca
- Özcan, Esra (2013). Lingerie, Bikinis and the Headscarf: Visual Depictions of Muslim Female Migrants in German News Media. Feminist Media Studies, 13 (3): 427–442. Accessible at: http://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/14680777.2012.712382.
- Özcan, Esra (2010). Turkey: Media System. In Wolfgang Donsbach, (Ed.), The International Encyclopedia of Communication. Blackwell Publishing, Blackwell Reference Online.
- Müller, Marion G. & Özcan, Esra & Seizov, Ognyan (2009). Dangerous Depictions: A Visual Case Study of Contemporary Cartoon Controversies, Popular Communication: The International Journal of Media and Culture, 7(1): 28–39. https://www.tandfonline.com/doi/abs/10.1080/15405700802598361
- Müller, Marion G. & Özcan, Esra (2007). The Political Iconography of Muhammad Cartoons: Understanding Cultural Conflict and Political Action, PS: Political Science and Politics, XL(2): 287–292. https://www.cambridge.org/core/journals/ps-political-science-and-politics/article/abs/political-iconography-of-muhammad-cartoons-understanding-cultural-conflict-and-political-action/F9B1032F49EA5B61366EA0ED0EB6BD7
- Gender, Race and Class in Media
- Political Communication
- Introduction to Global Media