Jacobs University Bremen, Germany, PhD
- Representations of gender in news photographs
- Postcolonial feminism
- Islam and Muslims in the media
- The politics of dress in Turkey
- Religion, politics and the media in Turkey
- Özcan E. (2019) Mainstreaming the Headscarf: Islamist Politics and Women in the Turkish Media. I.B. Tauris, November 14, 2019.
- Özcan E. (2018) Conservative Women in Power: A New Predicament for Transnational Feminist Media Research. In: Harp D., Loke J., Bachmann I. (eds) Feminist Approaches to Media Theory and Research. Comparative Feminist Studies. Palgrave Macmillan, Cham.
- Özcan E. (2017) Turkish Women in Islamism: Gender and the Mirage of “Islamic Feminism.” In: Samyukta: A Journal of Gender and Culture. Vol. XVII, no.1, pp:182-192.
- Özcan E. (2017) Who is a Muslim Woman?: Questioning Knowledge Production on “Muslim Woman.” In: L. Ayu Saraswati, Barbara Shaw, and Heather Rellihan (eds) Introduction to Women's, Gender, and Sexuality Studies, Interdisciplinary and Intersectional Approaches, Oxford University Press.
- Özcan, E. (2015). Women's headscarves in news photographs: A comparison between the secular and Islamic press during the AKP government in Turkey. European Journal of Communication. Published online before print, July 28, 2015.
- Özcan, E. (2013). Lingerie, bikinis and the headscarf: Visual depictions of Muslim female migrants in German news media. Feminist Media Studies, 13(3), 427-442.
- Özcan, E. (2010). Turkey: Media System. In Wolfgang Donsbach, (Ed.), The International Encyclopedia of Communication. Blackwell publishing, Blackwell Reference Online.