Alpha Beta Upsilon Chapter
Sigma Tau Delta, the international English honor society, is an organization that provides its members with an opportunity to take part in scholarly activities associated with the study of the English language and literature. One of the largest members of the Association of College Honor Societies , Sigma Tau Delta has over 600 active chapters, more than 900 faculty sponsors, and inducts approximately 7,000 members annually. Locally, our chapter is interested in finding ways to help its members get the most out of the Tulane English Department experience, be it through communication about classes, what to do with an English degree, or community service projects. Members also have the opportunity to attend a yearly national conference (generally held in March) to present papers they have written for classes at Tulane and to meet thousands of other English majors and minors from across the country. In addition, thousands of dollars are available from the national organization for scholarships.
Active members or those who are interested in being active members must
- be enrolled as English majors or minors;
- have a 3.0 GPA in English classes;
- have a minimum of two college English courses other than the freshman requirements;
- have completed at least 3 semesters of college course work;
- have obtained a ranking in the highest 35% of their classes in general scholarship (this information can be estimated by the chapter advisor if the statistics are not available).
The Alpha Beta Upsilon Chapter generally holds membership drives three times a year–early fall semester, early spring semester, and again late in the spring semester to get members lined up for the following school year.
Dues are $37 for the national chapter for lifetime membership and $10 to the local chapter for help with activities for the year.
To learn more about Sigma Tau Delta, check out the national organization's website at www.english.org.