*** The application deadline for Summer Merit Fellowship has been extended to March 29. If you have not already done so, please notify now the faculty member you are asking to write your recommendation and ask that they have a recommendation ready to upload. Your recommender will automatically be e-mailed a link to upload the recommendation after you submit the application. Your deadline to submit the application is March 29 but recommenders can submit after the deadline. Please try to submit the application before the deadline if possible so your application is complete as close as possible to March 29.***
The SLA Dean's Office will provide awards up to $5000 to support summer activities for graduate students completing terminal degrees. Students may use funds for research expenses, supplies and equipment, and travel to support data collection, analysis, and travel to performances necessary for your research or to participate in professional development workshops. The award can not be used for labor expenses (i.e. site excavation or set construction crews; paying a third-party to transcribe interviews). We will not support tuition or conferences. Students who have completed data collection, research and research related travel may apply for a Summer Merit Fellowship Writing Award of up to $3000 for completion of their dissertation. Please do not request additional funds if applying for a $3000 writing award for dissertation completion.
The fellowship is intended for advanced graduate students, ABDs who have completed all their exams, or students completing MFAs. Only ABDs or students completing their MFAs in the following year are eligible to apply. Students who have received two Fellowship Awards in the past are ineligible. Students who received one Fellowship Award but did not complete their progress reports by January 31st are also ineligible. MFA’s who are not doing dissertations but are completing projects are encouraged to apply. Political Science PhD students are NOT eligible for this program and should consult their chair for more information about summer funds.
Summer Merit Fellowship applications must be submitted on-line via the on-line Summer Merit Fellowship application form no later than March 23, 2020. APPLY HERE FOR SUMMER MERIT FELLOWSHIP (You will not able to save this application once started so be sure you have all materials listed below before opening the application.)
All projects involving human subjects – e.g., ethnographic field observations, interviews, surveys, and so on - must either (1) have approval from the Tulane University Institutional Review Board (IRB) before issuance of an award or, (2) must affirm that the IRB has declared the research exempt from IRB review. Remember to allow sufficient time to complete IRB processing before the application deadline.
The Summer Merit Fellowship Award application includes:
- A two-page proposal that details the major research questions, problems, or object of analysis. The proposal should address what activities will be undertaken and how the summer fellowship award will pay for needed resources. Overall, the proposal should explain how the award will enhance the students' research and professional activities, and allow them to complete their projects in a timely manner. The proposal should be written in a jargon-free manner that can be understood by faculty in wide range of disciplines.
- An itemized budget listing the expenditures anticipated for expenses such as supplies, equipment, travel for data collection, and costs of completing the project. Please use the itemized budget form included on the application. If you are applying for the $3000 writing award, it is NOT necessary to submit an itemized budget.
- A curriculum vitae.
- A letter of recommendation (no more than one-page) from the applicant's major advisor or dissertation chair. The letter must be uploaded to the on-line application via a link e-mailed to the recommender named on the application.
- A list of prior awards and fellowships received including (1) dates of such support and (2) the major accomplishments that were derived from that support. Students should also list other anticipated summer support. Those who have received past support from a summer merit fellowship must submit a copy of their progress report with their application.
- IRB approval/exemption notification, if applicable.
The Summer Merit Fellowship application deadline is March 23, 2020. Applications will be reviewed by the SLA Dean and Associate Deans and awards will be announced via e-mail in the first week of May.
By January 31, 2021 recipients of the summer 2020 fellowship awards are required to submit a progress report that includes a brief, but informative, summary of the activities supported by the award. (Recipients of the summer 2019 fellowship awards are required to submit a progress report to Assistant Dean, Ann Schumacher by January 31, 2020).